Saturday, October 20, 2007

Saskatchewan Election

For the next assignment in our Poli-Sci Class, I plan to work on the campaign for Corinne Pauliuk, New Democratic Candidate for Indian Head- Milestone Constituency. By spending some time knocking on doors, and observing how the campaign is going, I expect to learn more about the challenges that face women candidates, especially in the support given to them by their party. So far I have noticed that Corinne's election signs are small, but numerous. Her main opponent in this riding is Don McMorris, a very popular Sask. Party Candidate, and our current M.L.A. Don McMorris's signs are very, very large, and while not that numerous, they are in very prominent places. The only mail drop has been from the Sask. Party. Campaigning in our rural riding will be interesting as I have not been active in politics, although I have always been very interested in what happens on the political scene. I do know that Corinne has been in an uphill battle in this campaign, and strong party support has not been there for her in what I have observed so far. In our Indian Head- Wolseley News, October 16th issue, there is a small, but front page comment; MCMORRIS STARTS FAST. Inside there is a large election ad, half page at least, listing some of the present governments faults. It finishes up asking for support. The paper has apparently not received any ads for the N.D.P. or Liberal, or any other party. Having the funds to advertise one's position certainly helps. I understand that Corinne has been doing "door to door" campaigning throughout the riding for some time, and plans to continue. I will keep you posted. Jean Kurbis

No comments: